30 Oct 2023
Glimble by Arriva digital mobility platform launches in Italy
- Italy is Arriva’s second market to launch the technology, following initial development and roll-out in the Netherlands.
- The Arriva owned innovation enables search, plan, book and pay facilities with any mode of public transport, shared transport or micro-mobility provider.
- The launch in Trieste aims to increase the use of sustainable mobility choices in the Italian city.
Arriva is launching its ‘glimble by Arriva’ digital platform in Trieste, Italy, this week as part of its expansion within the Mobility as a Service (MaaS) sector, having developed and inaugurated the glimble brand in the Netherlands.
Developed in partnership with Moovit, glimble is designed with pan-European potential to enable more accessible and sustainable choices, changing the way that people travel, especially in cities.
MaaS brings together all transport options, combined with active travel (walking and cycling) to enable door-to-door journeys, rather than just station-to-station. This allows Arriva to provide services beyond its own operations and enable integrated, multimodal journeys.
Trieste will be the first city in Italy to be served by glimble, with wider roll-out to other cities also being considered for the future. In Italy, Arriva is one of the leading operators of buses, with a fleet of over 2,500 vehicles.
Sian Leydon, Arriva Group Managing Director for Mainland Europe, said: “In a world where everyone is constantly on the move and connection and accessibility is essential, we need to be adaptable and nimble to passenger needs, while also encouraging more sustainable choices. Our glimble brand started its Arriva journey in the Netherlands, but we always knew it had scalability and pan-European potential, so the launch in Italy is a very exciting development for us as a leading European mobility provider. We will continue to explore other opportunities in MaaS where Data laws allow us to do so.”
Angelo Costa, Managing Director of Arriva in Italy, added: "A platform like glimble is essential to encourage the use of local public transport, with all its positive effects in terms of sustainability and modal shift away from cars. We want to encourage people to view buses, bikes and other modes of transport as a single network rather than separate services".
Moovit is a leading technology provider with proven success having already developed the world’s leading MaaS platform and boasting 70 million users in 1,400 cities worldwide.
Glimble can be downloaded from Google Play and the App store. The functionality of glimble in Italy incorporates accessibility features, such as screen reading features for low vision users, talkback and voiceover capabilities. For those with hand-motor disabilities, glimble is designed with optimised menus and buttons.
Glimble is expected to make Trieste more accessible, more liveable and more sustainable by combining private, public and shared transport.
Notes to editors:
- Using Moovit's technology, glimble combines official information for Trieste transport services including buses, boats, bike sharing and on-demand responsive services, to calculate the best route for each journey. Users can sort glimble’s suggested routes by cost of journey or by the total level of CO2.
- In early 2024, real-time arrival information will be available to glimble users, so travellers know exactly when their bus or train is arriving with service alerts to help avoid disruption.
- The app allows passengers to validate journeys with a single tap and scan of a QR code.
About Arriva Group:
Arriva is a leading provider of passenger transport across Europe, employing around 35,500 people and delivering around 1.5 billion passenger journeys across 10 European countries. With buses, trains, coaches, trams, waterbuses, bike-sharing systems, and on-demand transport solutions, Arriva proudly connects people and communities safely, reliably and sustainably, delivering these services in a better way, every day. The activities of Arriva are divided into four lines of business: UK Bus, UK Trains, The Netherlands and Mainland Europe. Arriva has operations in the Czech Republic, Croatia, Hungary, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and the United Kingdom. arriva.co.uk
Arriva Group press office